Skip to main content

SP Prescott: Recycling Space at the Mall Galleries

Last week I went to the Mall Galleries to see what was on display. It's been ages since I've been able to go to London to emerge myself within the galleries and new work so I was very excited. I worked at the Mall Galleries in the summer and gained a huge insight into the work behind the scenes and preparation for shows.
Work on display by SP Prescott in the Threadneedle Space at the Mall caught my eye straight away because it differs a lot to the usual work that is on display at the Mall. Straight away the use of colours and negative space caught me eye because of how the artist had manipulated the canvas. 
"Prescott pushes accepted concepts of painting. Using the traditional stretched canvas as a starting point, she creates images and forms projecting from, or receding into the frame. By blurring two and three dimensions in this way, she intends to challenge the viewers’ perceptions of space and reality."
This extract was taken from the Mall's website which describes the work. I adore work which makes the viewer interact with it just beyond looking. The work of Prescott did this for me. The use of cutting into the canvas and creating a new dimension with the surface makes the viewer appreciate the material and process. 


This is my favourite piece from the show. The use of colour puts me at ease and the contrast between the flat sections of the canvas and the texture works very well compositionally. The fluidity of marks within the painted sections of the canvas harmonises with fragmentation and 3d sections of the work. I look at this piece and feel calm. Yellow is a colour that is recurrent within my own work at the moment so that's another reason why I was probably drawn to this. The idea of contrast within work is something that I always find appealing within work. This has been achieved here with the colours and sense of marks.

To see more of SP Prescott's work visit: http://www.spprescott.com 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Phyllida Barlow at the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh

I've spent the last week in Edinburgh where I visited some great exhibitions. I went to to my favourite gallery in Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery. The first exhibition I saw here was by the Artist Gabriel Orozco. His work has had a huge impact on my own practice, his use of shape and colour really intrigued me. Upon first seeing the display of Barlow's work I was struck at how the gallery had made amazing use of the space. Her work is dominating and powerful.                                  'Set' at the Edinburgh Fruitmarket Gallery 2015                                                         Her use of materials was very clever and the combination of plastic, paper and wood etc. showed a great contrast making each individual element stand out. I was enticed all around the gallery space as the sculptures connected from room to room and even spilling out into the upstairs of the gallery space. There was a really fluidity to how the exhibition has been presen