Skip to main content

Artist Influence: Beth Greenwood

Beth is on the same course as me at Falmouth University. I first got the chance to see her incredible work when we talked about our love of nature and geometric pattern.

Beth's way of working inspires me because we have a very similar interest in subject matter and mark-making. Her fascination with the idea of death is recurrent throughout her work and she contrasts this idea of death with her delicate way of working. This is what makes her work so thought provoking.


The structure of her work is calming to look at because of this sense of symmetry and order. This is something I use in my own work with repetitive mark making. The sheer amount of detail within her work is stunning and she has a way with media which captures the delicate organic and natural subject matter.


The combination of mark making and material is very effective in this piece. As she is working on a ground that has texture she has carefully considered how the material is applied. The end result being something that draws the eye around. The skull in the centre is one of my favourite pieces of her work because of how she has used mark to create something representationally. I have not done this with pointillism in a long time. Seeing her work has motivated be to consider doing this again.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Phyllida Barlow at the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh

I've spent the last week in Edinburgh where I visited some great exhibitions. I went to to my favourite gallery in Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery. The first exhibition I saw here was by the Artist Gabriel Orozco. His work has had a huge impact on my own practice, his use of shape and colour really intrigued me. Upon first seeing the display of Barlow's work I was struck at how the gallery had made amazing use of the space. Her work is dominating and powerful.                                  'Set' at the Edinburgh Fruitmarket Gallery 2015                                                         Her use of materials was very clever and the combination of plastic, paper and wood etc. showed a great contrast making each individual element stand out. I was enticed all around the gallery space as the sculptures connected from room to room and even spilling out into the upstairs of the gallery space. There was a really fluidity to how the exhibition has been presen