Skip to main content

Falmouth Collective: Illustration Show

This is the next blog post in a collection documenting the shows that were on at Falmouth University at the start of June. The great thing about the illustration show is that the whole cohort, years 1 to 3s work was on display. There is so much personality in the work and a few of these people's work I first came across on Instagram or through recommendations by friends so to see it in the flesh was great!


Victoria Sandoy 

I love how Victoria has depicted nature through the use of colours and textures. Her muted colour schemes create atmospheric pieces of work. 


Catherine Vallely

I was very envious but inspired by Catherine's sketchbooks that she had on display. Her approach to media was very engaging, clearly someone not afraid to experiment which is so important. I related a lot to her work because of how she pushed how mediums can be perceived by a viewer. 


Evan Hollingdale

A collection of beautiful work by Evan whose work I came across on Facebook. He has such a strong eye for colour and a real way to create dynamic narrative pieces of work. The quality of his work is already so strong, the finish and clear ideas is something which struck me when viewing the display. He pushes how illustration can be used and translated his visuals and ideas onto different materials which was engaging. 


Charlotte Humphries

Charlotte's ability with colour and pushing a more traditional process like screen-printing made her work stand out because of how she had combined drawing and found imagery. 


Carly Diep

I was struck by Carly's work because how the sheer amount of attention to detail in the paper cutting work draws the viewer's eye in. The depth created by layering pieces together creates a dynamic piece of work. Her Aurora poster was another bonus! It's always great to find people who appreciate similar music to you. 


Irene Taptas

Irene is someone else who has pushed how media can be used to create a narrative. Her use of texture and repetition within pieces of her work worked very well. 


Alexandra Gurtner 

I came across this work and was struck by it because of the subject matter, it was illustrating one of my favourite films. It's always good to sea how other creative and visual thinkers perceive something and Alexandra has done this very effectively. Through the use of dramatic lighting and tone she's created something which evokes feelings captured in the book and film. 



Julie De Graaf

The sketchbook queen, it was really nice to see sketchbooks alongside some of the third year work. Julia's use of line and texture is something that appears throughout her work and creates real movement and emotion to the viewer. 




Clara Anganuzzi

Clara's work makes me so happy. Her work and ability to create such humour through animals is very strong. Her seals are a favourite of mine!


Emma Donegan

I was instantly drawn to the yellow in Emma's work. Her work has real character and charm. I think having a strong sense of colour is so important and she does this very well throughout their work. 


Oliver Averill

I came across Oliver's work on Instagram and have always appreciated how he uses mark making and colour. There is so much character in his work shown through his confident use of mark making and line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Phyllida Barlow at the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh

I've spent the last week in Edinburgh where I visited some great exhibitions. I went to to my favourite gallery in Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery. The first exhibition I saw here was by the Artist Gabriel Orozco. His work has had a huge impact on my own practice, his use of shape and colour really intrigued me. Upon first seeing the display of Barlow's work I was struck at how the gallery had made amazing use of the space. Her work is dominating and powerful.                                  'Set' at the Edinburgh Fruitmarket Gallery 2015                                                         Her use of materials was very clever and the combination of plastic, paper and wood etc. showed a great contrast making each individual element stand out. I was enticed all around the gallery space as the sculptures connected from room to room and even spilling out into the upstairs of the gallery space. There was a really fluidity to how the exhibition has been presen