Skip to main content

Falmouth Collective: Foundation Show


 At the end of May 2016 the Foundation students of Falmouth University put on their final year show. This time last year I was in this position and it is strange to think that I've already finished my first year at university. Going back to Wellington Terrace was an interesting one, weeks leading up to the show the building is cleared and transformed into an exhibition space to showcase the talent and hard work of students. I remember this being a stressful experience and several of my favourite jumpers being covered in white paint. However the transformation of Welly for this years exhibition was great. In particular the textiles room, where there is very good natural light. The work chosen to be put on display in that room was curated very well!  I went to the private view and it was packed, so I decided to go back at a later date to take in the work and see what kind of art had been created. I've chosen a couple of my favourite pieces from the show to share with you.



Lucinda Purkis 


Lucinda Purkis


Lucinda Purkis

 I met Lucinda earlier in the year when she started on the Foundation. Her way of drawing is something I relate to a lot, the loose, childlike fragmented structure of line is so beautiful. Her final body of work focussed on the idea of assembling pieces together to create larger structures. The work was put together and displayed in such an innovative way. Harmonising with other work around it, due to this other aspects of her work such has shapes formed by the shadows could be appreciated by the viewer. I think that art that pushes interaction like this is so important.



Tom Shepherd - Barron



Tom Shepherd-Barron

Tom's work struck me because of how he is tackling something which is becoming more prominent in contemporary society. I think how he made it interactive was a very clever statement on how mental health should be tackled. 



Foundation Show, 2016 



Annie Forbes 
 Annie's work was striking to look at because of how repetition and media has been used to create the overall body of work. The spontaneous use of mark and colour produces a pleasing composition.



James Osborne

 There was more illustration work on display in this years cohort compared to my year. However there was still so much distinct talent from students. James' sensitive use to media and colour pushes how a scene can be interpreted. He has been confident in pushing how illustration can be perceived by looking at how music and narrative can be combined.


Etchings, Falmouth Foundation 2016 


Foundation Show 2016


Foundation Show, 2016 


Rosie Leech


Rosie Leech

Rosie's work was a real stand out to me from this year's show. The sheer amount of effort and attention to detail for her final major project was something very special. There was something so nostalgic about her work. Her use of colour and how everything had been put together captured the character of the narratives she was illustrating. 


Rosie Leech


Rosie Leech


Joanna Lillie


Joanna Lillie

Joanna's work was another favourite from the show, she had not only made models and books but an animation to accompany her final project. A really sensitive piece of work with beautiful music to accompany. Her use of mark making and colour is something I find very striking, she has a real natural ability to create emotive pieces of animation and illustration. 


Joanna Lillie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Phyllida Barlow at the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh

I've spent the last week in Edinburgh where I visited some great exhibitions. I went to to my favourite gallery in Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery. The first exhibition I saw here was by the Artist Gabriel Orozco. His work has had a huge impact on my own practice, his use of shape and colour really intrigued me. Upon first seeing the display of Barlow's work I was struck at how the gallery had made amazing use of the space. Her work is dominating and powerful.                                  'Set' at the Edinburgh Fruitmarket Gallery 2015                                                         Her use of materials was very clever and the combination of plastic, paper and wood etc. showed a great contrast making each individual element stand out. I was enticed all around the gallery space as the sculptures connected from room to room and even spilling out into the upstairs of the gallery space. There was a really fluidity to how the exhibition has been presen