Skip to main content

Photography Collective/February 2016//

Over the recent weeks I have been heavily influenced by several photographers within my work. A lot of this inspiration has come through their use of light, composition and subject matter. I have been using found imagery from old national geographic magazines from the 1960s/70s within my collage work, however I am now wanting to push my practice into using my own imagery.

I thought I would share a few Photographers who have inspired me so you can check out their work.



How Becky captures to elements is beautiful. This piece in particular has depicted drama and movement of nature. However I was drawn to it because of the almost painterly qualities the image has.





Millie and her work is always an inspiration. She is someone who is not afraid to go beyond the boundaries of just using what is in front of her. She has a real talent for using props to distort the image and allow the viewer to question what is in front of them. Her work is always full of interesting compositions and she has an eye for knowing how the place things which make the image aesthetically pleasing to look at. 




This image is beautiful because of how Tom has captured the idea of nature and how things layer together. The shapes and lighting within this image is very strong and this image has actually inspired some collage ideas focussing on trees and this idea of layering. The muted palette also sets the tone for the work.

 A difficulty I am facing at the moment is trying to translate the idea of lighting into my work. That is what a lot of these photographers do so well, I want to push this idea into printmaking. 




Dan's work is always a joy to view, so full of character and drama. He captures peoples interaction with space and the environment so well. His work is emotive and his use of lighting is strong. I am hopefully collaborating with Dan and using his imagery will be a real privilege. 



Kat is a Fine Artist, but her installation work has caught my eye because of how she displays beautiful raw organic imagery. The use of colours and subject matter is so calming and I think her work is beautiful. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Phyllida Barlow at the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh

I've spent the last week in Edinburgh where I visited some great exhibitions. I went to to my favourite gallery in Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery. The first exhibition I saw here was by the Artist Gabriel Orozco. His work has had a huge impact on my own practice, his use of shape and colour really intrigued me. Upon first seeing the display of Barlow's work I was struck at how the gallery had made amazing use of the space. Her work is dominating and powerful.                                  'Set' at the Edinburgh Fruitmarket Gallery 2015                                                         Her use of materials was very clever and the combination of plastic, paper and wood etc. showed a great contrast making each individual element stand out. I was enticed all around the gallery space as the sculptures connected from room to room and even spilling out into the upstairs of the gallery space. There was a really fluidity to how the exhibition has been presen