Skip to main content

Tania Kovats and a reflection of recent work

Tomorrow evening one of my favourite creative writers is going to be giving a talk at Falmouth University. Her book. Drawing Water: Drawing as a mechanism for exploration is one I highly recommend and is one that has helped me develop my practice and way of working. I have a real interest in line and there are particular sections which clarify a certain way of seeing the world for me. I am so excited to hear her speak about current work and her relationship with drawing.

I thought I would share some of her work with you and my thoughts and feelings about it. Her connections to nature and fascination with water is beautiful. I connect to her work because of her expressive nature with how she explores people's relationship and association with the landscape and aspects of it.

Tania is perhaps most well known for her work that is on display in the Natural History museum in London.

Below are images taken from her solo show at the Edinburgh Fruit market Gallery. The show focussed on her fascination with the sea and included work which brought together water from all of the world's oceans. This was able to happen with the help of a global network of people. The work titled 'All of the Sea' compromises of seawater from all over the world. It has been logged, measured and documented by the artist in a library of 365 vessels.

I find her whole interest in documentation very influential in my own practice as she is bringing together something in a single room which in any normal circumstance people would not be able to see. She is making is universal and more accessible. I find this concept interesting as documentation is something I am very intrigued by at the moment. For me this is documenting through drawing and photography. I do this through journals and my Instagram. 



My current work is focussing on the idea of what an action can represent. This has been achieved through large scale monoprints (shown below) and experimenting how far I can push myself with printmaking. I have been re-reading Tania's book in the run up to her coming to Falmouth and thought I would share some quotes from the book which are indicative of how she views line and how this can be applied to art. 

'In geometry, a line is a straight curve. The most beautiful line of all is the horizon, where the sea meets the sky'.

I relate a lot to this way of seeing because although my work was exploring the action of a roller. It has also turned into an exploration of colour and people's associations with it. I think this series of work has a sense of continuity with the focus on line. This way of working has been a real breakthrough for me because I have enjoyed both the process and end result (something that rarely happens, as for me it is all about process). I think this is because of the plethora of meanings that the work has to me and how this can change depending on a situation. 

(All work below are offset prints which has been created in my second year on the BA Drawing course at Falmouth University).





Tania Kovats will be speaking at Falmouth University tomorrow. To book tickets follow the link below:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Phyllida Barlow at the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh

I've spent the last week in Edinburgh where I visited some great exhibitions. I went to to my favourite gallery in Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery. The first exhibition I saw here was by the Artist Gabriel Orozco. His work has had a huge impact on my own practice, his use of shape and colour really intrigued me. Upon first seeing the display of Barlow's work I was struck at how the gallery had made amazing use of the space. Her work is dominating and powerful.                                  'Set' at the Edinburgh Fruitmarket Gallery 2015                                                         Her use of materials was very clever and the combination of plastic, paper and wood etc. showed a great contrast making each individual element stand out. I was enticed all around the gallery space as the sculptures connected from room to room and even spilling out into the upstairs of the gallery space. There was a really fluidity to how the exhibition has been presen