Skip to main content

Creative Block and Self Doubt: with Claire Leach

I have followed Claire's work for the past two years on Instagram and she was one of the first artist's I came across on there whose work I could relate to in the terms of process and how she chose to present herself online. She showed progress, and honesty, she shared both the good and the bad days when it came to her work. It is this honesty which made me really connect with her way of working. Her way of drawing is similar to mine in the terms of repetitive mark making. We both share a love of similar books, in particular, Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.

In recent months we've been speaking about our creative process, both the highs and lows as it seems we are quite similar in how we deal with them.

She says that '"as an artist, I use my creativity to help me sort through every day life. It's my coping mechanism when things in life go awry, it's my peaceful meditation and it's my source of joy. When however, things aren't going well creatively everything can feel like it's falling apart." This is something I very much relate to as a creative person. I am so visually stimulated by everything around me that I can get overwhelmed by what I am actually doing. I think because for me art is an outlet for everything and is so integrated into everything I do It's hard to take a step back sometimes.

I think this mind set comes from being hard on myself and driven in what I do, however this can have a reverse effect when I put myself too hard. I have spoken to Claire about this and I think this is something a lot of other people go through. I'm learning that I don't have to be on the ball 24/7 because that's when you get burnt out. I've found that other things in recent weeks such as cycling, walking and swimming have been a good release but are still influencing my writing and work, I am just learning to step back.

She said to me that there are times where "Everything I put to paper is meaningless and the self-doubt really kicks in, to the point where I wonder why I haven't given up already." I think this is something that I also struggle with but have also learnt that when you feel like this it is more important to push through it. Whether this be taking a step back (which I still find very, very hard).

But, this destructive mindset always passes with time. I step back, reflect and brainstorm. I read through old inspiring notes and look at my art books. I make little marks with ink and scribbles with pencil and I feel better.

I think it's having a determination to push on if you know it is what you want to do. People say to me, how do I have so much energy to make work and write, I think a lot of time I just do it because It's what feels right. Two years on, Claire's work and motivation to push on in times of doubt really inspire me.

You can see more of Claire's work here and follow her adventures on her Instagram  





     Claire Leach, 100 Post cards project, 2016




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Phyllida Barlow at the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh

I've spent the last week in Edinburgh where I visited some great exhibitions. I went to to my favourite gallery in Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery. The first exhibition I saw here was by the Artist Gabriel Orozco. His work has had a huge impact on my own practice, his use of shape and colour really intrigued me. Upon first seeing the display of Barlow's work I was struck at how the gallery had made amazing use of the space. Her work is dominating and powerful.                                  'Set' at the Edinburgh Fruitmarket Gallery 2015                                                         Her use of materials was very clever and the combination of plastic, paper and wood etc. showed a great contrast making each individual element stand out. I was enticed all around the gallery space as the sculptures connected from room to room and even spilling out into the upstairs of the gallery space. There was a really fluidity to how the exhibition has been presen