Skip to main content

In Converstation with: Lesley Harry

On Wednesday I was very fortunate to meet up with Printmaker Lesley Harry. I have admired her work for a year or so now. I first saw it when the John Howard Print studio had their exhibition at the Crypt in St Ives. This is the first time I've done one of my artist conversations face to face. This was a hugely beneficial thing to do as not only was I able to see her work first hand but I was able to have more of a dialogue going where we would bounce ideas off what each other was saying.

She first showed me a range of her sketchbooks. This was great because there were some from 2007 up until now so it was great to see how her style had changed and developed. Her use of mark-making is so fluid and captures the cornish landscape. She described her way of drawing as a way of visualising and capturing an essence of the place/environment she was in. This is reflected in the size of sketchbooks she has. She carries around small sketchbooks and often is moving while she draws. This means she has to pick out the key components of the scene and choose what to document to emulate the space.

This is something that Lesley has inspired me to do. Since coming back from Tresco I have wanted to draw outside more to become more confident with it, but working smaller and more quickly will make me look at what i'm drawing in a new way.




Lesley's work is recognisable because of the velvet qualities of her printmaking. She also has her own distinct visual language when it comes to drawing. This is what I really admire about people who have an array of mark-making skills. It is almost like another handwriting. She has her own visual language for describing cliffs, rocks and trees which people recognise.

She also showed me how she uses photography within her practice to capture things which people often overlook. We looked at photographs for a current project she is working on with another Cornish Artist under the theme of Flow. She uses a viewfinder to observe and break up the composition until she finds an area she thinks works. This is something I want to try more with texture photographs I use. It makes you appreciate every aspect of what you're looking at.

Lesley and I also talked about our love of the Printmaker Katherine Jones. It was great to talk about what we both got from her as an artist. For me it is her sense of structure and giving space a new meaning within the composition. Although Lesley and I both agreed the way she works with colour is so clever.


She was also kind enough to show me some of her etching plates. This was really interesting as I think these are a piece of work in their own right. 


We then made our way back to John's studio where Lesley was creating editions of her work. While I was there I got to see the new studio/gallery space in his print studio. There was work on display from printmakers and artists who use his work-shop. 


I want to thank Lesley for her time and for motivating me to continue with print-making and finding new ways to introduce it into my practice. I wish her all the best with her current project and look forward to seeing the outcome of it. 



http://lesleyharry.info

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Phyllida Barlow at the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh

I've spent the last week in Edinburgh where I visited some great exhibitions. I went to to my favourite gallery in Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery. The first exhibition I saw here was by the Artist Gabriel Orozco. His work has had a huge impact on my own practice, his use of shape and colour really intrigued me. Upon first seeing the display of Barlow's work I was struck at how the gallery had made amazing use of the space. Her work is dominating and powerful.                                  'Set' at the Edinburgh Fruitmarket Gallery 2015                                                         Her use of materials was very clever and the combination of plastic, paper and wood etc. showed a great contrast making each individual element stand out. I was enticed all around the gallery space as the sculptures connected from room to room and even spilling out into the upstairs of the gallery space. There was a really fluidity to how the exhibition has been presen