Skip to main content

Illustration Collective: November

A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to sell work at an Arts Fair in Falmouth. This was a totally daunting and new experience to me. I was very nervous at the prospect of talking to people and having to price my work (I am awful at this). However when I arrived and set up all these nerves disappeared (a little) and I got the chance to see the work of talented Falmouth Illustrators and other creative people. I am constantly on the look out for new artists, illustrators and designers so this was the perfect opportunity. I thought I would share with you some of my favourites. A lot of these people I had the chance to meet on the day, which was even better because I was able to put a face to the work. 


I love Jamie's work because of how he convey's narrative so beautifully. I think his work is something that a lot of people could relate to. He creates quirky illustrations which for me capture and visualise things people might overlook or have trouble conveying. His use of texture is also great! He has inspired me to try and use text more within my work. 


I came across Daniel's work before I started my degree and again he has this ability to combine colour and texture to capture to emotive response of his characters. His work has a real fluidity to it which makes his narratives almost believable. 


Olivia's work is just so calming to look at. She has a way with colours which draw people in and I really admire how she uses shape and text. I've liked her work for a while and have been inspired by some of her colour combinations to convey feeling within my own work. She makes me question what colour can mean to the viewer. 



I was selling work next to Julia at the fair. This piece caught my eye because of the use of textures, line and dramatic sense of movement. I really like her use of mark-making too, it separates from the arrangement of colour and gives the piece a focal point. Plus this piece is beautiful because of the orange and blue combination which is one of my favourites! 


Katie's work makes me so so happy. She is someone who combines printmaking and digital to create gorgeous narratives and landscapes. At the fair I was able to buy a couple of her prints and they are now on my wall! Katie's work inspires me because of how she uses texture and the sense of layering in her work to create space. She is very talented and definitely one to watch!


Lucinda and Will - 'Willcinda'



The work of Will and Lucinda is something I found on Instagram. Currently foundation students at the university but already they have a real sense of humour, wit and a collaborative idea that works so well. I really love how they have combined styles, the composition of their work and use of colour is also inspiring. I met with Lucinda at the weekend where she was making more Zines. The paper that they use to create the zine's on is something I want to have a go at. Working on an off-white paper is something I want try more and they have both inspired that.

Thank you for taking the time to read about the work of these talented creative people! Please take a look at their work on the links (click on their names)











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Phyllida Barlow at the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh

I've spent the last week in Edinburgh where I visited some great exhibitions. I went to to my favourite gallery in Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery. The first exhibition I saw here was by the Artist Gabriel Orozco. His work has had a huge impact on my own practice, his use of shape and colour really intrigued me. Upon first seeing the display of Barlow's work I was struck at how the gallery had made amazing use of the space. Her work is dominating and powerful.                                  'Set' at the Edinburgh Fruitmarket Gallery 2015                                                         Her use of materials was very clever and the combination of plastic, paper and wood etc. showed a great contrast making each individual element stand out. I was enticed all around the gallery space as the sculptures connected from room to room and even spilling out into the upstairs of the gallery space. There was a really fluidity to how the exhibition has been presen