Skip to main content

The EY Exhibition: Van Gogh and Britain @ Tate Britain


Last week the Van Gogh Exhibition opened and the show represents the largest collection of the Artist's work in nearly a decade. The show features some of his most famous work including Starry Night on the Rhône. The exhibition also looks at the British artists who were inspired by Van Gogh, including Francis Bacon, David Bomberg and more which I did not know about the show at first. This was a welcomed surprise as it was great to see how other artist had been influenced by his vision, whether this was through colour, mood or subject matter.



Poster advertising the last Van Gogh exhibition @ Tate



Painting by Van Gogh

I've noticed that with recent exhibitions the Tate have started the mimic the work with how they display it through painting the walls certain colours other than a traditional white wall. This has been done in the recent Bonnard and Franz West exhibition at Tate Modern. I think this a strong progression with making the work more interactive and allowing the viewer to pick up on certain details of the painting that they may have missed. It shows a new confidence from the institution and makes the work more playful and I think engaging. They are selective about how they do it though. the coloured walls almost acting as accents in the space. 


Still Life by Van Gogh



Drawing by Harold Gilman

 I am so pleased that numerous drawings by Van Gogh and accompanying artists have been displayed. I first saw Van Gogh's drawings in the flesh at the Courthauld Institute in London, in my first year of studying BA Drawing. We were given the opportunity to see a private collection. It was such an experience to be able to see the work in a more intimate setting but appreciate the marks without glass. I've always been influenced by Van Gogh's mark making and how be builds up landscapes. This was another favourite example of drawing by Harold Gilman (ink on paper) that depicts a tree built up using suggestive marks. The texture of this piece in particular was so poetic and the marks danced around the structure of the tree.



The Sunflowers by Vincent Van Gogh

Some of his most famous works can be seen on display, which is great but the show was packed so it made some work difficult to appreciate. 


Drawing by Van Gogh

Van Gogh's drawing characteristic and line is full of body and movement. There is a strong confidence with the boldness and depth of line. However it is soft and fluid at depicting an organic chaos. 


Detail of a drawing by Vincent Van Gogh


Painting by Francis Bacon


Detail of a painting by Francis Bacon

In one of the last rooms of the exhibition there are three large scale paintings put on one wall by Francis Bacon. This was one of my favourite pieces if the show because it's quite different to his usual work. While is demands the room, the confidence is not as intimidating as his usual work. The confidence comes through the large gesture of marks and scale. Hints of Van Gogh are emulated through how texture has been created and depth with colour. 

The show is on until the start of August and can be seen @ Tate Britain in London. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Phyllida Barlow at the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh

I've spent the last week in Edinburgh where I visited some great exhibitions. I went to to my favourite gallery in Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery. The first exhibition I saw here was by the Artist Gabriel Orozco. His work has had a huge impact on my own practice, his use of shape and colour really intrigued me. Upon first seeing the display of Barlow's work I was struck at how the gallery had made amazing use of the space. Her work is dominating and powerful.                                  'Set' at the Edinburgh Fruitmarket Gallery 2015                                                         Her use of materials was very clever and the combination of plastic, paper and wood etc. showed a great contrast making each individual element stand out. I was enticed all around the gallery space as the sculptures connected from room to room and even spilling out into the upstairs of the gallery space. There was a really fluidity to how the exhibition has been presen