Skip to main content

Falmouth Collective// 06052016

A weekly blog post celebrating the work of Falmouth University Students~

Stephanie Stubbs//

I first came across the work of Stephanie last week when I was looking round the first year fine art studios. Her work has such a tactile quality about it and having this tangible quality means that the viewer is able to appreciate the material that has created the work. The fluidity of her work is calming and the colours reminiscent of water.




Jess Russell//

Images taken from a current exhibition on display at Woodlane Library, Falmouth Campus. Titled A History of Ideas, Jess has taken old library slips from books and created a new narrative by displaying them in the library. The idea that these slips capture a moment in time and are sometimes lost, found again by students amongst the pages of books is something that she has been able to capture and re-tell so an audience. It also captures the idea of how the library now uses a digital system to log books being taken out by students. The beauty of these slips is how they have changed over time and exactly that, how time has been captured and recorded through stamps.

Jess's way of thinking and making the mundane beautiful has always inspired me. She just has this ability to push how material can be read.




James Calderbank

James' work has really intricate qualities about it. He has a confident use of visual language which is echoed in both his digital and drawing work.  I chose to share this piece of his work because of the colour combination of blue and orange which has been uses effectively when creating this poster.



Yoli Ward

Yoli's use of colour and line to create emotive pieces of work is done in a way which pushes how the narrative can be seen. She has done this in a recent project about educating people about Sex Education. The rhythm of her line creates a calming and warm image.

She is the Arts Editor of the Falmouth Anchor too and has put together a fabulous collection of pieces of work. If you're around Campus be sure to pick up a copy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Artist Talks: Kate Powell

I first saw the work of Kate on thestudentartguide, where her work was featured. I was amazed at her technical ability and skill in showing narratives and emotion. I'm the same age as Kate and I think the way she has built up a following and how she chooses to showcase her work is something to aspire to. Her confidence and willing to change as an artist is something that I think people should respect. Since finishing her foundation she now has a place to study Illustration at Edinburgh, which I am very jealous about! Kate has very kindly answered some questions about her practice as I wanted to learn more about her working method and artist inspiration. What has going to art school taught you so far about you as an artist? It taught me that I was wrong about wanting to do fine art and that I'm much more suited to illustration, it's taught me not to take art so seriously, that things don't always have to be perfect and that if everyone's happy with what you'