Skip to main content

Favourite Blogs

As someone who loves to write about art and uses a blog to document this I thought it would be a good idea to share with you some of my favourite bloggers who also share a love of this!

http://www.thejealouscurator.com/blog/ 

I have followed the Jealous Curator for a long time now. The whole concept of the blog is very effective. I think it is great that art is being shared and commented on. This is something that inspired by blog and recent thing I do on Instagram where I share the work of creative people whose work inspires me. I do this to share it with other people in the hope that they get something from looking at the work. That is the beauty of concepts like Instagram, people can communicate with each other through images. It has been a great platform for me to meet other creative people and share my own work.

The writer of the blog has been very successful and has released two books which have a similar theme of helping artists work together and discover new ideas. Her book creative unblock has been a lifesaver for me when I've had real moments of doubt.

The artist/curator herself produces beautiful collage works which I am constantly inspired by. She is someone who has a real ability to combine writing, making and sharing. This has been very motivating and inspiring for me as someone who has a passion for communication and sharing within the artistic community.

http://www.emilytappart.com/studio-journal/

My next blog I would love to share with you is the online journal of a fellow Falmouth student: Emily Tapp. Emily is currently on the first year of the fine art degree. This is a recent discovery but it has been great to see someone who is not afraid to talk about their work to an online audience. I keep a personal journal where I literally write every thought I have. Reading Emily's blog has made me consider writing more about my personal work on my blog and analysing my studio practice more. I think it is so important to engage with your audience in this way. That is what is so great about sharing your work in this way. People are not only seeing the finished result but the working process.


Emily's work has a beautiful sense of layering and texture. I had a sneaky peak around the first year studios and it has been great to see some of her work in the flesh. She has a great eye for colour. I look forward to seeing what she makes over the three years at Falmouth.

http://www.thecreativeoutlook.co.uk

The final blog is that of Surface Pattern and Textile Design student Amy Hodkin who is currently at Leeds College of Art. I found the work and blog of Amy on Instagram. Her blog is where I would like to be in a couple of months. She has worked hard to create a strikingly colourful blog which represents her work. I think the name and whole aesthetic of her blog is very well designed. I've been talking to Amy recently and would love to work with her on collaborative projects.

Back in the summer seeing her work actually inspired me to introduce colour back into my work. She has a great eye for pattern and texture. Her work and blog just never fail to inspire me. She is very open about her practice which I think is the way to me. She shares her inspiration with her readers and people who appreciate her work.

Again, similar to Emily's blog she is not afraid to show the behind the scenes of her practice. This is what I enjoy reading about the most and seeing how she puts her beautiful designs together.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Talks: Sophie Eliza

I first saw Sophie's work on Instagram, she has recently graduated from Falmouth University. I love her use of colour and shape combination in her collages. She has a great eye for combining these to create striking pieces of work. I caught up with her to learn more about her influences and why she loves to create work.  What have you learnt about yourself while studying at Falmouth University? I found out what really drives my art. Before I started, I was very confused and didn't really know what I was trying to communicate. The second year of uni came around and I suddenly felt I knew what it was all about. Collage just kind of erupted everywhere.  This is my favourite piece of Sophie's work. I think the combination of found imagery and colours works so well together.  What artists/designers influence your practice? Well, lets start with the big names... Kandinsky, Josef Albers... Bridget Riley.  Composition , colour... they're just all so inspirational i

Artist Talks: Phoebe Atkey

Phoebe Atkey is a talented artist whose work I first saw on Instagram. Her commitment and enthusiasm for the arts is very inspiring. Her detailed drawings and attention to detail is what makes her stand out. Phoebe currently has over 25,000 followers in Instagram where she often uploads work. I interviewed Phoebe to gain more of an insight to her interests and how she creates such beautiful works using a variety of media. How often do you draw?  I try to draw everyday, even if it is just 15 minutes. What artists influence you?  I have always been interested in children’s book illustrations especially those of Quentin Blake and Ernest Shepherd. These two artists inspired me to draw from a very young age. As I have got older, I have also become interested in the works of Saul Bass, Herbert Leupin and Paul Rand. Do you see yourself going to Art School?  I would like to try getting into the industry without going to uni. However, I am lucky to live near an extremely good a

Phyllida Barlow at the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh

I've spent the last week in Edinburgh where I visited some great exhibitions. I went to to my favourite gallery in Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery. The first exhibition I saw here was by the Artist Gabriel Orozco. His work has had a huge impact on my own practice, his use of shape and colour really intrigued me. Upon first seeing the display of Barlow's work I was struck at how the gallery had made amazing use of the space. Her work is dominating and powerful.                                  'Set' at the Edinburgh Fruitmarket Gallery 2015                                                         Her use of materials was very clever and the combination of plastic, paper and wood etc. showed a great contrast making each individual element stand out. I was enticed all around the gallery space as the sculptures connected from room to room and even spilling out into the upstairs of the gallery space. There was a really fluidity to how the exhibition has been presen